Finding an apartment in Cleveland, OH, can be an exciting yet daunting task. With a bustling city full of diverse neighborhoods, amenities, and rental options, it can be challenging to narrow down your search and find the perfect place to call home. To make the process more manageable, there are several steps you can take to help you find an apartment in Cleveland.
Step 1: Determine what you want in a Cleveland apartment
If you’re looking for an apartment in Cleveland, OH, it’s crucial to start by identifying your preferences for both the apartment and the location. Begin by considering factors such as the desired apartment size, the number of bedrooms and bathrooms required, and any specific amenities that hold importance to you.
Take into account the type of neighborhood you envision living in, and assess amenities like proximity to grocery stores, restaurants, and transportation options. Cleveland offers various neighborhoods with distinct characteristics, each with its own unique charm and amenities. More on neighborhoods below.
Additionally, Cleveland benefits from a reliable public transportation system, including bus routes operated by the Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority (GCRTA) and a rapid transit system. Being clear about your preferences will assist you in narrowing down your search and finding an apartment that aligns with your needs and provides a comfortable living environment within Cleveland.
Step 2: Determine your budget
Now that you have a clear idea of your apartment preferences, it’s essential to establish a budget. This step is crucial to avoid financial stress and challenges in the future. Begin by assessing your monthly expenses and determining the amount you can comfortably allocate towards rent. Consider other necessary costs such as utilities and parking fees. If you’re moving to Cleveland from another city, utilizing a cost of living calculator can be beneficial in understanding the general expenses in the area.
It’s important to adhere to your budget and resist the temptation to overspend. By staying within your financial means, you can ensure a comfortable and worry-free living experience in your new Cleveland apartment. Prioritizing financial stability will allow you to enjoy your new home without the burden of financial strain.
Average monthly rent prices in Cleveland
Rent prices in Cleveland can vary widely depending on location, size, and amenities, so it’s important to have a good idea of what you can expect to pay. Below, we’ve compiled a list of average monthly rent prices for studios, one-bedroom, and two-bedroom apartments in Cleveland to help you get started.
- Studio: $937
- 1 Bedroom: $1,405
- 2 Bedroom: $2,100
These prices were pulled on May 24th, 2023
Step 3: Choose a Cleveland neighborhood
Cleveland, Ohio, offers a diverse selection of neighborhoods, each with its own unique charm and atmosphere. When choosing a neighborhood, it’s important to take various factors into account. Consider the proximity to your workplace, schools, public transportation options, and amenities like restaurants and grocery stores. Additionally, research other aspects that can influence your living experience, such as the overall vibe and character of each neighborhood. Finding a neighborhood that aligns with your lifestyle and preferences is key, and Cleveland provides a wide range of popular options to explore.
Popular neighborhoods for renting an apartment in Scottsdale:
- Downtown Cleveland: Located at the heart of the city, Downtown Cleveland is a bustling neighborhood with an array of entertainment, dining, and cultural attractions. It features the iconic Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Playhouse Square (the largest performing arts center outside of New York City), and numerous sports arenas.
- Ohio City: Situated just west of Downtown, Ohio City is a trendy and historic neighborhood known for its lively atmosphere. It’s home to the historic West Side Market, which offers a variety of fresh produce, meats, and ethnic foods. The area also boasts a vibrant craft beer scene with popular breweries and unique dining options.
- Tremont: Nestled on the western edge of Downtown, Tremont is a historic neighborhood with a blend of residential charm and artistic flair. It features picturesque tree-lined streets, and a vibrant art and music scene.
- University Circle: Located on the east side of Cleveland, University Circle is centered around educational and cultural institutions. It’s home to renowned institutions such as the Cleveland Museum of Art, Severance Hall (home of the Cleveland Orchestra), and Case Western Reserve University. The area also offers beautiful parks and gardens.
- Lakewood: Although technically not in Cleveland, Lakewood is a highly popular and adjacent suburb known for its lively atmosphere and proximity to the city. It offers a diverse range of housing options, including apartments near Lake Erie, and boasts a great arts and music scene. Lakewood features a wide array of dining options, unique shops, and a beautiful park system.
- Coventry Village: Located in the Cleveland Heights suburb, Coventry Village is an eclectic neighborhood known for its bohemian atmosphere. It’s home to an array of independent shops, art galleries, and cafes. Coventry Village also hosts various events and festivals throughout the year, making it a hub for creativity and community engagement.
Of course, these are just a few of the many neighborhoods in Cleveland that are great for renting an apartment. Your choice will ultimately depend on your personal preferences and priorities.
Step 4: Start your search online
One of the most effective ways to find an apartment in Cleveland is to start your search online. Redfin is a great tool for finding an apartment because it offers a user-friendly interface with comprehensive listings of apartments throughout the city. You can easily search for apartments by location, price range, and amenities to find a space that meets your needs. Rent. is another popular website for browsing for rentals in Cleveland.
Step 5: Schedule apartment tours
After making a list of a few apartments that fit your requirements, the next step is to schedule some apartment tours. Experiencing an apartment in person can provide you with a clearer sense of the space, amenities, and the overall ambiance of the complex and the surrounding neighborhood. Additionally, it’s an ideal opportunity to meet the property manager or landlord and ask questions or inquire about any concerns you might have. Plan multiple tours to compare apartments and locate the one that resonates best with your preferences and lifestyle. With this approach, you can confidently identify a rental that meets all of your expectations.
Step 6: Prepare your application
After identifying an apartment that you adore, it’s time to focus on preparing your apartment application. Generally, landlords will request verification of your income, conduct a credit check, and verify your rental history. Collect these documents in advance to expedite the application process. It’s advisable to prepare a reference list, which should include previous landlords, to submit alongside your application. This thoughtful approach to your application will help make the process smoother, more efficient, and ultimately, increase your chances of being selected as a tenant.
Step 7: Review the lease
Before signing the lease, it’s essential to review it carefully. Make sure you understand the terms and conditions, including the rental price, security deposit, and any other fees. If you have any questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to ask the landlord or property manager. It’s important that you fully understand and are comfortable with the terms and conditions in the lease.
Step 8: Move-in day
Congratulations on securing an apartment in Cleveland, OH. As you prepare for your move-in day, it’s crucial to thoroughly inspect your apartment and document any pre-existing damage. This means taking detailed pictures of the space, including any scratches, dents, or other damage, and maintaining a copy of the documentation for your records. By doing so, you can protect yourself from any disputes with the landlord over the apartment’s condition when you move out.
Exploring rental apartments in Cleveland, Ohio can be both a rewarding and challenging endeavor. By understanding your preferences, setting a budget, and leveraging online tools like Redfin or Rent. to research various neighborhoods and available listings, you can embark on a fruitful search and land the perfect pad. Additionally, adopting a methodical approach to apartment tours, thorough preparation, and careful examination of lease agreements will enable you to confidently choose an apartment that aligns with your needs and lifestyle. It’s essential to maintain patience and flexibility throughout the process, and before you know it, you’ll be settling comfortably into your new Cleveland home.